cygwin-3.1.0 and mintty from desktop shortcut

Achim Gratz Stromeko@nexgo.de
Wed Dec 18 16:56:00 GMT 2019

Corinna Vinschen writes:
>> There is some undesirable interaction when I try to start mintty from my
>> desktop shortcut.  Mintty itself starts OK, but any Cygwin program that
>> mintty starts (whether a shell or something else) just goes into a
>> spinloop (Windows says it's mostly kernel time).
>
> Windows version?

Win10 Enterprise 1803

> It would be great if you could nail this down to a specific aspect.
> Alternatively, a bisect might help.

Haven't got the time to get much further.  The symptoms are: a
consolehost and mintty are started.  Instead of just the shell or
whatever other program it's been told to run, there is now a second
mintty process and the forked program spinning CPU on something.  I have
either not been able to attach strace to that process (for lack of a
Cygwin process number) or strace hasn't given me any output.  When I
kill the forked process usually (but not always) mintty exits, but the
consolehost does not.

No changes with the suggestion from Takashi Yano and the 3.1.1 release
from today.  I've rolled back to 3.0.7 for now (so it's not the other
updates that were installed at the same time), can't do any further
investigation at the moment.

Regards,
Achim.