installing sshd | Win 10 1909 build

Evan Cooch evan.cooch@gmail.com
Thu Dec 26 21:05:00 GMT 2019

Greetings --

I (and several colleagues) have been using the Cygwin sshd for many
years (Win XP on...). Has worked perfectly.

However, with the demise of Win 7, several of us have started the
process of 'upgrading' (in some fashion) to Win 10. For people running
Cygwin sshd under Win 7, who do an in-place upgrade to Win 10, things
seem to be OK -- i.e., Win 10 leaves Cygwin sshd alone.

However, I received an email from a colleague who said he had no host of
problems trying to install Cygwin sshd on a brand new Win 10 system,
1909 build. It seems that Win 10 has its own sshd, and there is a
conflict of some sort between Win 10 (which 'wants' to use its own
sshd), and attempts to use Cygwin.

Since this exercise (of installing to a brand new Win 10 machine) is
something I'll likely be doing myself in the near future, was wondering
if there was a canonical set of instructions on how to install Cygqwin,
using Cygwin sshd as a service, on a Win 10 1909 platform? I've read a
variety of posts on the matter -- spome suggest renaming the Cygwin sshd
to something, others talk about registry hacks to not let Win 10 default
to its own sshd, and so on.

So, is there a 'tried and true, officially sanctioned' way to get Cygin
sshd running as a service under the latest build of Windows 10, if you
working with a clean, new install of Windows?

Thanks much in advance...