installing sshd | Win 10 1909 build

Evan Cooch evan.cooch@gmail.com
Fri Dec 27 02:29:00 GMT 2019

On 12/26/2019 4:48 PM, Marco Atzeri wrote:
> Am 26.12.2019 um 22:13 schrieb Evan Cooch:
>> Thanks, but insufficient. Where is the Cygwin sshd equivalent of the
>> following for the Windows 10 implementation of OpenSSH?:
>>
>> https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/hpc/How-To-Use-SSH-Client-and-Server-on-Windows-10-1470/
>>

>> Is there an equivalent for Cygwin sshd, that deals in a step-by-step
>> fashion specifically with handling recent build of Windows 10, all of
>> which have openSSH pre-installed?
>>

> Evan,
> Bottom post on this mailing list, please.

Sure -- will do moving forward.

> $ cygcheck -p bin/sshd
> Found 4 matches for bin/sshd
> openssh-debuginfo-8.0p1-2 - openssh-debuginfo: Debug info for openssh
> openssh-debuginfo-8.1p1-1 - openssh-debuginfo: Debug info for openssh
> openssh-8.0p1-2 - openssh: The OpenSSH server and client programs
> openssh-8.1p1-1 - openssh: The OpenSSH server and client programs
>
> so openssh is the package providing the ssh demon/server

Presumably on a machine running the cygwin sshd, correct?

> $ cygcheck -l openssh | grep config
> /etc/defaults/etc/sshd_config
> /etc/defaults/etc/ssh_config
> /usr/bin/ssh-host-config
> /usr/bin/ssh-user-config
> /usr/share/man/man5/sshd_config.5.gz
> /usr/share/man/man5/ssh_config.5.gz
>

> ssh-host-config is used to install and configure the Cygwin server
> ssh-user-config is used to install user specific files.
> Its use is very simple, step by step approuch as mentioned on
> /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/openssh.README
>

> As you can not have two different sshd demons running
>  at the same time, use "net start <service>" and
> "net stop <service>" that are your usual windows command friends.

OK -- but my question wasn't so much about using openSSH, but rather,
how to do an install of Cygwin ssh on a Win 10 machine, which already
has a native ssh server client 'bult in'. A number of us have tried
using the standard approaches for installing cygwin and having sshd run
as a service (approaches that worked fine on Win 7, and pre-1803 builds
of WIn 10), but have had problems with Windows complaining (or, if not
complaining, not allowing a different sshd). It seems as if you need to
'turn off' or 'uninstall' something with recent Win 10 builds to get
Cygwin sshd to install -- and work -- as a service.  That is the step
some of us  are hoping someone can step us through.