textmode for stdout, what is "correct" now?

Fri Feb 15 12:49:00 GMT 2019

On Feb 15 13:03, Michael Haubenwallner wrote:
> >> Down the line in their BIO module they do use setmode(fd, O_TEXT),
> >> which is the one that does introduce the \r, as far as I know.
> >
> > This one is not so nice.  Somebody should tell upstream we only
> > want explicit O_BINARY these days, but no explicit O_TEXT.
>
> Is this correct even for situations where the cygwin1.dll is used
> outside the Cygwin distribution, like git-bash, MSYS or similar,

This is OpenSSL, not the Cygwin DLL.

> where cygwin-based executables eventually are used from within some
> CMD or PowerShell script? Or should they use unix2dos/dos2unix then?

Only if the \r is really required.  Typically it isn't.

> OTOH, would it make sense to ignore the O_TEXT flag in cygwin1.dll?

That's an interesting idea.  The O_TEXT flag is already ignored in a lot
of cases, e.g. for pipes.  Only when opening files does it have an
effect, mostly.  I'm not sure we should really switch it off.  Maybe we
can consider a CYGWIN env var setting at one point.

> >> The backtrace in openssl-1.1.1a in this use case is:
> >> [...]
> >
> > Telling upstream not to use O_TEXT on Cygwin in the first place, I think.
>
> I can do that, but if I were an upstream developer I would ask questions
> like above...

I sent a patch upstream and questions got asked.  But this is not
a native openssl lib, this is *Cygwin's* openssl lib, and it should
behave like a Cygwin lib.

> > For scripting, d2u should help.
>
> Plus, to be portable: type d2u >/dev/null 2>&1 || d2u() { cat; }

For portability, use `dos2unix'.  It's packed with most (all?) Linux
distros.

Corinna

--
Corinna Vinschen