Windows to Cygwin username mapping: Domain before local account when duplicate name?

Fri Feb 15 21:38:00 GMT 2019

On Feb 15 13:59, Bill Stewart wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 15, 2019 at 1:43 PM Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> I think I see the problem. The list I posted (above the one you are
> apparently referring to) has the search in a different order.

I'm not only "apparently referring" to that list, I pasted it verbatim
in my reply to you :)

> The section that starts with "Let's discuss the SID<=>uid/gid mapping
> first. Here's how it works." states this order:

It doesn't state an order.  It describes the mapping from SID to
uid/gid, and there's *no* order at all to it, just a description how
certain SIDs are mapped to certain uid/gid values given numerical
recipies.

> I was assuming the first section is an orderly sequence of searching,
> since that's usually how Windows works.

Windows usually maps SIDs to uid/gid values?

> The second section with the examples seems to be a different order,
> and would seems to be the order Cygwin actually uses.

Both sections have examples.

> I was just wondering if that's by design or by accident, since it's
> different from the typical order.

What is a "typical" order?!?

If you login locally to a domain member machine the default domain is
the logon domain of this machine.  If that's not what you want you have
to choose the logon domain of your account explicitely, even if it's the
local machine SAM.  Windows will not try to find the user name locally
if you didn't chose it explicitely.  You get "The user name or password
is incorrect. Try again" instead.

The only exception I'm aware of is the "Administrator" account, at least
in Windows 10.

Corinna

--
Corinna Vinschen