ssh confused about home directory?

Thomas Wolff towo@towo.net
Wed Feb 20 06:31:00 GMT 2019

Am 19.02.2019 um 21:08 schrieb Andrey Repin:
> Greetings, Boylan, Ross!
>
>> I recently installed cygwin on Win 10, both 64 bit.
>> When I run ssh in a cygwin shell it complains
>>               Could not create directory '/home/rdboylan/.ssh'.
>> The /home directory is empty--that is, it has no rdboylan subdirectory.
>> My home directory appears to be /cygdrive/c/Users/rdboylan; that is the
>> value of $HOME
> This is the answer.
> You rely on your shell being smart enough to pick environment variable as
> operational directive, but SSH knows nothing about it and fails.
>
>> and where I end up when I do cd.
>> As far as I can tell from the docs, having c:/Users/rdboylan as home is
>> fine, but ssh doesn't seem to be respecting it.
>> /etc/nsswitch.conf has no uncommented lines and /etc/passwd does not exist
> Which explains the failure.
But it does not excuse it. That's background information while the
authoritative guide for users should be the manuals. The ssh manual
refers to ~, without defining what that exactly means. The bash manual
defines ~ to be equivalent with $HOME which also sometimes fails in
bash. Documentation and behaviour is inconsistent, probably because in
other POSIX systems, there are typically not so many variations in
setting up $HOME, or ~, whichever...