Fork issue with timerfd

Tue Feb 26 09:01:00 GMT 2019

On Feb 26 00:01, Ken Brown wrote:
> On 2/25/2019 3:20 PM, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> > [...]
> > I pushed a patch and uploaded new developer snapshots to
> > https://cygwin.com/snapshots/
>
> The x86 fork problem seems to be fixed.  I started emacs several times and
> listed directories without any failure.

Thanks for testing!

> I did get the following, however, during one of the trials (while emacs was idle):
>
> 1 [main] emacs 246 C:\Users\kbrown\src\emacs\i686-emacs26\src\emacs.exe: ***
> fatal error - CreateThread failed for pipesel - 0x0<0x0>, Win32 error 8

It's hard to imagine how this is related.  CreateThread fails due to
memory problems?!?  A timerfd does not use a lot of resources, just a
96 bytes struct on the cygheap, a single page shared memory region, and
a thread per timerfd.  This include dup'ed descriptors which share the
timerfd resources with their sibling descriptors.

Corinna

--
Corinna Vinschen
Cygwin Maintainer