OpenSSH server on latest Windows 10

Jari Fredriksson jarif@iki.fi
Wed Jan 9 04:56:00 GMT 2019

> Stephen John Smoogen <smooge@gmail.com> kirjoitti 8.1.2019 kello 23.33:
>
> On Tue, 8 Jan 2019 at 16:20, Jari Fredriksson <jarif@iki.fi> wrote:
>
>> Hello!
>>
>> I have used Cygwin and OpenSSH server from Windows 7 to these days with
>> Windows 10.
>>
>> In some late Windows update it seems that Microsoft has removed the
>> "Cygwin sshd” -service all together!
>>

> I don't think it removed it.. it just has its own ssh server which could be
> running instead.
>

>> I have not tried to reinstall it… Has anyone had similar happenings?
>>
>> Br. Jarif
>>

>> --
>> Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
>> FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/
>> Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html

It is indeed removed. There is no ”Cygwin sushi” service any more. I now installed the Windows 10 OpenSSH Server, which was not installed by default. I could not get it up and running either. I refuses to use the host key.

I have executed the Repair-SshdConfigPermission -FilePath C:\ProgramData\ssh\ssh_host_ed25519_key which says ”looks good” but

ssh-add C:\ProgramData\ssh\ssh_host_ed25519_key complaints WARNING: UNPROTECTED PRIVATE KEY FILE! and ssh does not start.

But that is not a Cygwin issue anyway…

I would prefer Cygwin ssh to get more Linux like experience, but WIn10 ssh will do if I only manage to start it…

Br. Jarif