Bug: Incorrect signal behavior in multi-threaded processes

Tue Jan 22 09:13:00 GMT 2019

On Jan 20 15:33, Dan Bonachea wrote:
> I'm writing to report some POSIX compliance problems with Cygwin
> signal handling in the presence of multiple pthreads that our group
> has encountered in our parallel scientific computing codes.
>
> A minimal test program is copied below and also available here:
> https://upc-bugs.lbl.gov/bugzilla/attachment.cgi?id=589
>
> I believe the test program is fully compliant with ISO C 99 and POSIX
> 1003.1-2016. In a nutshell, it registers one signal handler, spawns a
> number of pthreads, and then synchronously generates a signal from
> exactly one thread while others sit in a pthread_barrier_wait. The
> "throwing" thread and signal number can be varied from the command
> line, and diagnostic output indicates what happened.
> [...]
> Is there any hope of this situation ever improving?

Signal handling is a real beast and phread_barriers probably haven't
been tested as extensively yet as your testcase.

No guarantees for a patch, but I'll look into that as time permits.

Patches to fix bugs are very welcome: https://cygwin.com/contrib.html

Corinna

--
Corinna Vinschen