Bug: Incorrect signal behavior in multi-threaded processes

E. Madison Bray erik.m.bray@gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 12:44:00 GMT 2019

On Tue, Jan 22, 2019 at 9:43 PM Dan Bonachea <dobonachea@lbl.gov> wrote:

> Hi Corinna and Madison, thanks for your responses.
>
> To clarify, I'm reasonably confident the problem I'm reporting has
> NOTHING to do with pthread_barrier. Our real application which
> exhibits very similar symptoms does not use pthread_barrier *at all*;
> pthread_barrier was merely the most convenient/concise synchronization
> mechanism to produce deterministic output behavior in the minimal
> example.
>
> Indeed, when I comment out the pthread_barrier code entirely from the
> example program (causing unselected non-primordial threads to exit and
> the primordial thread to stall in pthread_join), I see substantially
> the same misbehaviors.

Thank you for the clarification, that does make sense.

Per my previous message, the problem with SIGSEGV in particular is
(IMO a somewhat serious problem) caused by the fact that Windows
apparently does not recognize the stacks allocated for pthreads as
valid stacks, so it bypasses SEH entirely, and exceptions like
segfaults in threads do not get handled well by Cygwin.

I'm less clear on what the problem is with other signals, but it might
also be related somehow (though the SIGSEGV problem is obviously more
severe since it just results in the process immediately dying (with
exit code 0 no less :(