sshd permits logon using disabled user?
Corinna Vinschen
corinna-cygwin@cygwin.com
Thu Jan 24 20:23:00 GMT 2019
On Jan 24 09:48, Bill Stewart wrote:
> Hello Corinna,
>
> I performed the following steps:
>
> 1. Downloaded cygwin-20190124.tar.xz
> 2. Extracted it
> 3. Stopped sshd
> 4. Renamed existing /bin/cygwin1.dll to cygwin1-20181108.dll
> 5. Copied cygwin1.dll from download to /bin
> 6. Started sshd
>
> Did I miss anything?
No, I did.
> It still allows logon with disabled account.
I should have tested pubkey auth as well but as it was I just tested
with pathword auth. These methods take slightly different paths in
Cygwin when trying to switch the user account.
I pushed another patch and created new snapshots in the same location
https://cygwin.com/snapshots/.
HTH,
Corinna
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bill
>
>
> On Thu, Jan 24, 2019 at 8:45 AM Corinna Vinschen <corinna-cygwin@cygwin.com>
> wrote:
>
> > On Jan 24 06:28, Bill Stewart wrote:
> > > I am running Windows 10 (1803) and experimenting with sshd installed as a
> > > Windows service.
> > >
> > > The computer is a domain member. I created a local computer account for
> > > testing.
> > >
> > > I created host keys and a public/private key pair to use to log on the
> > user.
> > >
> > > This works, except I notice that if I disable the Windows user account, I
> > > can still log on using ssh using that account.
> > >
> > > In the shell, logged on as the disabled user, the 'whoami' command
> > returns
> > > the name of the disabled user.
> > >
> > > This seems unexpected and not good.
> > >
> > > Why does sshd allow logon for a disabled user?
> >
> > Because the underlying Cygwin function responsible for changing the user
> > account only checks if the account exists. It does not check for any of
> > the flags in the user DB. Yet.
> >
> > I pushed a patch to disallow changing the user account to a disabled or
> > locked out account.
> >
> > I just uploaded new developer snapshots containing this change to
> > https://cygwin.com/snapshots/
> >
> > Please give them a try.
> >
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Corinna
> >
> > --
> > Corinna Vinschen
> > Cygwin Maintainer
> >
>
> --
> Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
> FAQ: http://cygwin.com/faq/
> Documentation: http://cygwin.com/docs.html
> Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
--
Corinna Vinschen
Cygwin Maintainer
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: signature.asc
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 833 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://cygwin.com/pipermail/cygwin/attachments/20190124/7a1ce305/attachment.sig>
More information about the Cygwin
mailing list