[ANNOUNCEMENT] TEST: Cygwin 3.0.0-0.2

Wed Jan 30 18:47:00 GMT 2019

On 2019-01-30 10:31, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Jan 30 09:11, Brian Inglis wrote:
>> On 2019-01-30 07:03, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>>> I uploaded a new Cygwin test release 3.0.0-0.2
>>> It also changes the output of uname(2) for newly built applications.
>>> Applications built so far (that includes uname(1) from coreutils)
>>> will still print the old uname output.  The new format allows for longer
>>> strings.  Compare:
>>> Upcoming new uname content:
>>>   sysname:  CYGWIN_NT-10.0-17763   or  CYGWIN_NT-10.0-17763-WOW64
>>>   release:  3.0.0-335.x86_64       or  3.0.0-335.x86_64.snap
>>>   version:  2019-01-29 19:23 UTC   Build time in UTC
>> Re: "(*) It would really be nice not having to ask for these infos every time."
>> may want to append HKLM/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows NT/CurrentVersion/UBR to
>> uname -s sysname to show the patch levels of installed builds, as there appears
>> to be substantial differences between editions and service models.
> Thanks for the info, but what to do with this? Is there a thorough
> description somewhere to allow deciphering what this means to us?

UBR Update Build Revision appears to be incremented for each patch set released
for the W10 feature set OS build, to complete a unique revision id, similar to
Cygwin 335 above.
Would save those of us who know to, having to also run and append the output of

$ cmd /c ver

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.17134.523]

and save asking those who don't know that, in case the revision makes a difference.
Insider build feature sets bump the builds, and patch sets bump those revisions;
up to base releases with known feature sets, builds, and revisions; then patch
Tuesdays bump those revisions higher; so you can tell if installs are Insider,
base, or patched.