rename a user using setfacl -- possible? how?

Sat Jul 6 17:01:00 GMT 2019

On 2019-07-06 10:01, Andrey Repin wrote:
>>> You don't.
>>> If you want to change name for display purposes, look into nsswitch.conf and
>>> associated documentation.
>>         My machine's GUID changed.  This file has entry for userX
>> on the old machine-GUID.  UserX also exists on the new machine GUID.
>> So I renamed the old entry to UserXold so I could find all the places
>> where the old GUID is referenced then change it to the machine's new guid.
>> I'm not having cygwin create new groups or whatever, but trying to replace
>> references to this Userid in the machine's old GUID and replace them with
>> reference to the Uid with the machine's new GUID.
>> if it was the main group, I'd just use find to locate instances of old
>> and do chgrp to change ownership to new.  However, this is a group entry
>> in an acl list -- so I need to change the name of 1 entry in the acl list.
>>> It should, but I strongly suggest to avoid using it outside Cygwin directory
>>> tree to maintain maximum interoperability with Windows programs.
>>         No problem.  my cygwin directory is at 'C:\', where it
>> has been since WinXP...  (:^|)
> THAT is a problem. A big problem.
>>> getent passwd
>>> getent group
>>         those don't display GUID/UUIDs, but *nix user+group ids.
> Try it sometime. They do.

Try:

$ id user|group

and see below for getent nsswitch changes suggested.

>> I wanted to see the windows guid associated with an identity.
>> Since the one I was looking for was a well-known-id I found it, but
>> in non-well-known cases,...?
> Set nsswitch.conf to:
> passwd: db
> group: db
> db_enum: all
> then check `getent passwd`

In your work environment, you might want to try:

# passwd:	files db
# group:	files db
db_enum:	cache files local builtin primary alltrusted

See docs in - paste into browser:
/usr/share/doc/cygwin-doc/html/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html#ntsec-mapping-nsswitch
or
$ cygstart https://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html#ntsec-mapping-nsswitch