Problems seeing/mounting partitions from ssh

Erik Soderquist ErikSoderquist@gmail.com
Thu Jul 18 21:30:00 GMT 2019

On Thu, Jul 18, 2019 at 5:04 PM Henry S. Thompson wrote:

> Achim Gratz writes:
>
> > Henry S. Thompson writes:
> >> But if I come in to this machine via ssh (public key or password), the
> >> virtual partitions are lost:
> >
> > That's how Windows is designed.  If you have no desktop session, then
> > none of the associated setups are triggered.
>
> Not to dismiss your point, but this happens even when there _is_ a
> desktop session.  Indeed the material showing the problem in my previous
> post came from doing

The subst command creates an illusion that exists only for the user
session (usually a desktop session) it is executed in.  The ssh
session has no desktop session at all, and is its own independent user
session.

You may be able to work around this by adding the subst command to
your .profile, but should not expect subst commands from one user
session to be visible in another user session.

-- Erik

--
"I do not think any of us are truly sane, Caleb. Not even you. Courage
is not sanity. Being willing to die for someone else is not sanity."

-- Alexandria Terri in "Weaving the Wyvern" by Alexis Desiree Thorne