Cygwin/X does not seem to work on Windows 10

Tue Jun 4 13:26:00 GMT 2019

On 2019-06-04 05:52, Ronald Fischer wrote:
> What I did:
> - Installed all the packages, as described in https://x.cygwin.com/docs/ug/setup.html
> - Started XLaunch
> - Selected "Multiple Window" and "Start no client", to start the X Server
> - Clicked on "Fertig stellen" (= finish).
> - Using mintty, I started a cygwin shell (zsh).
> - Inside this shell, I tried a
>     xterm &
> which, not surprisingly, resulted into:
>    xterm: Xt error: Can't open display:
>    xterm: DISPLAY is not set
> and then a
>     DISPLAY=:0.0 xterm &
> which also produced an error message:
>    xterm: Xt error: Can't open display: :0.0
> Interestingly, there is an X-Icon in the notification area, and when I hover
> over it, the tooltip says "Cygwin/X Servre: 0.0", but when I right-click on this
> icon, no context menu appears.
> When I do a double-LEFT-click on this icon, the icon disappears completely.
> I then opened the Task Manager, but could not find any process where the
> name hinted that an X server would be running.

I pinned the Cygwin/X "XWin Server" Start Menu item to the taskbar.
When I click that, I get "Cygwin/X Server 0:0" and "X applications menu on :0"
icons in the systray.
I set up to have a mintty window launched, near the end of ~/.startxwinrc,
copied from /etc/X11/xinit/startxwinrc, which now ends:

    if [ -x /usr/bin/x-terminal-emulator ] ; then
        /usr/bin/mintty - &
    fi

    exec /usr/bin/xwin-xdg-menu
fi

So that control still ends up in the XDG menu.
As mintty does not take normal XTerm options, it is run explicitly.