Postfix+Cygwin: "mail system startup failed"

Christian Franke Christian.Franke@t-online.de
Fri Jun 21 18:02:00 GMT 2019

Greywolf wrote:
> Greetings!
>
> First the important stuff:
> [uname -a]:
> CYGWIN_NT-10.0 milliways 3.0.7(0.338/5/3) 2019-04-30 18:08 x86_64 Cygwin
>
> [windows]:
> Windows 10 Pro for Workstations
> Build 16299.rs3_release_svc.180808-1748
>
> [this is a work computer so getting updates for it may not be possible]
>
> Now the problem:
>
> I'm trying to get postfix up and running, and all I get is "fatal:
> mail system
> startup failed", with no further explanation; to wit, from 'postfix -v
> start':
> postfix/postfix-script: starting the Postfix mail system
> postfix/postfix-script: fatal: mail system startup failed
> [end output]
>
> Between starting and fatal, I expect that I would get a more detailed
> dump
> of what's gone wrong.  Anyone have any insight?

Please consult Cygwin syslog output. The postfix daemons (master, ...)
report problems via syslog(3). If no syslog daemon is installed and
running, Cygwin sends all syslog output to the Windows event log.

Note that there is a /usr/bin/postfix-config stript to install postfix
as a Windows service. It should handle all the details like creation of
the local user $mail_owner. Try 'postfix-config --dryrun' to see what
would happen.

Regards,
Christian