OpenSSH FIPS 140-2

Pinzone, Gerard GPinzone@aaccorp.com
Mon Jun 24 18:50:00 GMT 2019

I've been able to build OpenSSL 1.0.2 with FIPS support on Cygwin 32-bit and native Windows using Visual Studio. The 64-bit edition of Cygwin doesn't build the FIPS module correctly. There is a workaround, but that workaround invalidates the FIPS build requirements, thus the resulting binary will not be approved without a private certification that costs lots of $$$. I'd like to get OpenSSH to work with the OpenSSL I've built under 32-bit Cygwin, but that might require a custom build of OpenSSH. The latest Cygwin uses the newer 1.1.1 branch of OpenSSL, so I don't know if that will cause any compatibility problems.

Having a FIPS 140-2 OpenSSH on a Windows OS is important for those in the financial and government sector. Microsoft's port of OpenSSH uses LibreSSL (I think) and cannot be FIPS certified. It looks like Cygwin is our only hope.