Annoying error messages from setup

Mark Geisert mark@maxrnd.com
Thu Mar 7 06:03:00 GMT 2019

Hi Enrique,
I don't immediately see what the problem may be. I installed the cygwin-doc
package with the 64-bit Cygwin setup.exe on Windows 7 and it all went well.
More below...

Mark Geisert wrote earlier:
> Enrique Perez-Terron wrote:
>> For some time (several months), the setup program always finishes with the
>> following message:
>>
>>> Package: _/cygwin-doc
>>>     cygwin-doc.sh exit code 3
>>> Package: z/Perpetual
>>>     zp_texlive_finish.dash exit code 20
>>
>> Looking into setup.log.full, I find:
>>
>>> 2019/03/06 22:39:56 running: C:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe --norc --noprofile
>>> "/etc/postinstall/cygwin-doc.sh"
>>> mkshortcut: Saving "/cygdrive/c/ProgramData/Microsoft/Windows/Start
>>> Menu/Programs/C:/cygwin/User Guide (PDF).lnk" failed; does the target
>>> directory exist?
>>> mkshortcut: Saving "/cygdrive/c/ProgramData/Microsoft/Windows/Start
>>> Menu/Programs/C:/cygwin/User Guide (HTML).lnk" failed; does the target
>>> directory exist?
>>> mkshortcut: Saving "/cygdrive/c/ProgramData/Microsoft/Windows/Start
>>> Menu/Programs/C:/cygwin/API (PDF).lnk" failed; does the target directory exist?
>>> mkshortcut: Saving "/cygdrive/c/ProgramData/Microsoft/Windows/Start
>>> Menu/Programs/C:/cygwin/API (HTML).lnk" failed; does the target directory exist?
>>> mkshortcut: Saving "/cygdrive/c/ProgramData/Microsoft/Windows/Start
>>> Menu/Programs/C:/cygwin/Home Page.lnk" failed; does the target directory exist?
>>> mkshortcut: Saving "/cygdrive/c/ProgramData/Microsoft/Windows/Start
>>> Menu/Programs/C:/cygwin/FAQ.lnk" failed; does the target directory exist?
>>> 2019/03/06 22:39:57 abnormal exit: exit code=3
>>
>> Where do the "/C:" parts in the middle of the link names come from?
>> Investigating, I find that mkshortcut is being called like this:
>>
>>> /usr/bin/mkshortcut -A -P -n "Cygwin/User Guide (PDF)" -d "Cygwin User Guide
>>> PDF" -- /usr/share/doc/cygwin-doc/cygwin-ug-net.pdf
>>> /usr/bin/mkshortcut -A -P -n "Cygwin/User Guide (HTML)" -d "Cygwin User Guide
>>> HTML" -- /usr/share/doc/cygwin-doc/html/cygwin-ug-net/index.html
>>> /usr/bin/mkshortcut -A -P -n "Cygwin/API (PDF)" -d "Cygwin API Reference PDF"
>>> -- /usr/share/doc/cygwin-doc/cygwin-api.pdf
>>> /usr/bin/mkshortcut -A -P -n "Cygwin/API (HTML)" -d "Cygwin API Reference
>>> HTML" -- /usr/share/doc/cygwin-doc/html/cygwin-api/index.html
>>> /usr/bin/mkshortcut -A -P -n "Cygwin/Home Page" -d "Cygwin Home Page Link" -a
>>> https://cygwin.com/index.html -- /usr/bin/cygstart
>>> /usr/bin/mkshortcut -A -P -n "Cygwin/FAQ" -d "Cygwin Frequently Asked
>>> Questions Link" -a https://cygwin.com/faq.html -- /usr/bin/cygstart
>>
>> There appears to be a bug in mkshortcut.
>> Could this be somehow related to my enabling native symbolic links?
>> (Not sure if this error began before I did that.)
>> I don't know where to find the source for mkshortcut, and not sure if somebody
>> else
>> knows this program and can look into it. Should I report this somewhere?
>
> Consider it reported :-O.  'cygcheck -p mkshortcut' shows mkshortcut is part of
> the cygutils package.  I'm the maintainer.  You aren't using zsh as your shell,
> [...]

To see the mkshortcut source, you can use setup.exe to install the latest
cygutils package and click the box saying you want source too.  It will go into
/usr/src. cd into the newly-created cygutils* directory there and do 'cygport
prep' to prepare the source tree for all of cygutils (it's not much).  Then
navigate down to the mkshortcut directory and see mkshortcut.c.

Or use gitweb to inspect the source online. The cygutils source tree is at
git://cygwin.com/cygwin-apps/cygutils.git . You can reach it from the cygwin.com
home page -- click on "Source in Git" on the left side of the page.

How do you enable native symbolic links?  And also, could you please provide the
output of 'cygcheck -svr' as an email attachment on your next reply? Please make
sure to attach, and not just append it to the email, as the latter tends to
poison searches of the archives.
Thanks,

..mark