Cygwin 3.0.1-1 Breaks ALL cygwin applications on Windows 7 x64

Bill Stewart bstewart@iname.com
Mon Mar 11 21:27:00 GMT 2019

On Thu, Feb 28, 2019 at 2:39 AM Corinna Vinschen  wrote:

> > Since windows seems to adhere to the rule:
> > "Case preserving", but "case ignoring", what does it
> > mean to make sure all user and group names are
> > case-correct?
>
> This all started here:
> https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2019-02/msg00109.html
>
> followed up with
>
> https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2019-02/msg00113.html
>
> tl;dr: The easy and fast way out didn't work for accounts from
> other domains than the machine's primary domain due to caching.
>
> So I thought it's a good idea to fetch the correct groupnames by an
> additional LDAP call, but the performance hit is apparently too high in
> some environments.

FWIW, not sure if you're using the IADsNameTranslate interface (
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/api/iads/nn-iads-iadsnametranslate).
..

Example pseudo-code:

NameTranslate::Init(ADS_NAME_INITTYPE_GC, null);

Then:

accountName = 'domain\username';
NameTranslate::Set(ADS_NAME_TYPE_NT4, accountName);
caseCorrectedName = NameTranslate::Get(ADS_NAME_TYPE_NT4);  //
DOMAIN\UserName

Init depends on a available AD server (GC in this example), of course, but
seems pretty fast in my tests.

Bill