Privilege(s) needed to run top command

Tue Mar 12 08:58:00 GMT 2019

On Mar 11 22:40, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen writes:
> > (*) That doesn't mean it's not possible.  In theory all Cygwin
> >     processes could be opened to allow everyone
> >     PROCESS_QUERY_LIMITED_INFORMATION access, which would at least
> >     fill most of /proc/<PID>/stat for foreign processes.
> >     However, we never did that, so it can't have worked yet.
>
> Could we make it work under the condition that cygserver is running?

If this functionality is really necessary, it should ideally work
without having a service running.

Another, easier way out would be to allow /proc/<PID>/stat (and perhaps
others) to succeed even if the process info can't be grabbed due to
permissions.  It wouldn't show really useful info, but procps or top
would at least show the process.

Corinna

--
Corinna Vinschen