win dirs don't handle lack of inherited rule(?): getfacl + tar dir Warning: Cannot acl_to_text: Invalid argument

L A Walsh cygwin@tlinx.org
Fri Mar 15 14:46:00 GMT 2019

> On Mar 15 06:25, Brian Inglis wrote:
>
>> On 2019-03-13 05:34, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>>
>>> I pushed a patch and uploaded new developer snapshots to
>>> https://cygwin.com/snapshots/
>>>
>> In my experience no DACLs results in no POSIX permissions for Cygwin programs,
>> although Explorer and some other Windows programs can see and read them.
>>

> I didn't say "no DACL".  The DACL is present, there's just no inheritable
> entry in there and that's no problem for Cygwin.

----
Well the patch seems to work -- no error messages.  Don't know about
any other details than that.  The file perms are a combination of
rwx for user and group and nothing for 'other', despite there being
no 'default' acl.

Also, I was able to take a tar from cygwin with acls+xattrs, and
extract it on my samba server and have the permissions recreated
on linux as they were on windows!

That was a first.  Not all of the utils work so well, but tar
restored my win-perms on linux.  Rather neat.