How to install gcc and g++ 6 on cygwin which are not on the setup.exe

Eliot Moss moss@cs.umass.edu
Fri May 17 13:16:00 GMT 2019

On 5/16/2019 11:28 PM, Jose Isaias Cabrera wrote:
> Csaba Ráduly, on Thursday, May 16, 2019 05:47 PM, wrote...

>> BTW, if you're trying to build Bedrockdb, G++ 6 is likely unable to help you.
>> The Bedrockdb developers seem to suffer a bit from "all the world is Linux"
>> syndrome.
>
> Yeah.  Seems like the whole world is thinking like that. :-)  I do have linux boxes at home, but I also have windows.  Thanks for all the help.  I will let you know the outcome.  Already built GMP and MPFR.  Now running 'make' on MPC.  This one should take less time than MPFR.  GMP took a good 3 hours just to run make.  YIKES.  Later.

I've been a Cygwin user for a long time, and I like it, but
another possibility here for you is WSL (Windows Subsystem
for Linux).  It's a pretty easy install, and because it is
done by Microsoft and can reliably use internal interfaces,
there are ways in which it is more Linux-like -- for many
packages you can just do apt-get install and they work.  In
my experience the performance is comparable to Cygwin, maybe
a touch faster (but no where near as fast for heavy forking
as running inside a Virtual Box Ubuntu virtual machine, for
example).  It has its limitations, for sure, but I have found
it helpful for some things.

Regards - Eliot Moss