The adventure of building Bedrock in Cygwin: any help would be appreciated

Hans-Bernhard Bröker HBBroeker@t-online.de
Mon May 20 20:23:00 GMT 2019

Am 20.05.2019 um 21:12 schrieb Jose Isaias Cabrera:

> There is no configure script on the source directory,

And that should have been a warning to you.

This is the most portability-ignorant open source package I've seen in a
long time, and by a very wide margin.  They don't even _try_ to
accomodate the notion that there might be anything else but Linux left
under the sun.

> so according to Bedrock [1] this is all I need to build it:

Well, in all fairness, those are just the instructions for one type of
Linux distribution.  There are others, but those would not get you any
further, because they just care about different extra libraries, whereas
the real problems are in how they configure the compiler and its
standard library.

Among the fallacies they evidently subscribe to is the one that one
should force-feed the '--std=c++14' flag into all compilations, to get
support for C++ 14 language features, without bothering about the
effects that will have on the standard library feature selection
process.  At the very least, they should have use '--std=gnu++14'
instead, to keep the libraries full-featured.  Or if they didn't, they
would have to add some feature activation options like '-D_GNU_SOURCE'
to get back what they so wilfully turned off.

In short, this whole source is doomed to fail utterly on any system
whose C standard library is not GLIBC.