Cygwin debugger crashes every time on following a unique_ptr

Sun May 26 16:05:00 GMT 2019

On 2019-05-26 01:51, Mark Geisert wrote:
> Mark Geisert wrote:
>> I can confirm this issue.  The fault is reported by Cygwin's memcpy().  I'm
>> having a heck of a time trying to get a gdb backtrace to show what in gdb itself
>> is likely calling memcpy() with a bad arg.
> This seems to be a regression in gdb 8.1.1.  If you downgrade to gdb 8.0.1 on
> Cygwin the fault does not occur.  Obviously just a workaround.
> I'm curious which version of gdb the OP was using within CLion.  In any case
> this issue should be pointed out upstream (to the gdb developers).  It doesn't
> seem to be a Cygwin issue after all.
You should follow JetBrains debugger problem reporting guidelines (as you should
Cygwin's) if that is relevant to your use:
	https://intellij-support.jetbrains.com/hc/en-us/articles/206560589-Debugger-doesn-t-stop-on-a-breakpoint-Debugger-shows-Command-timed-out-What-to-do-

You should push this back to JetBrains for proper reproduction and diagnosis (if
Cygwin volunteers can do it in hours, JetBrains should have some employees
capable to do so) and have them report it to their upstream, which may be
https://sourceware.org/gdb/ also hosted on SourceWare like Cygwin.

CLion 2019.1 may now support gdb 8.1:
	https://intellij-support.jetbrains.com/hc/en-us/articles/206556469-What-compiler-debugger-can-I-use-within-CLion-
and fixes are available in upgrades:
	https://sourceware.org/gdb/news/
but below reports CLion 2018.1.6 uses gdb 8.0.1 - you should not use newer gdb
capabilities than supported by the installed release:
	https://confluence.jetbrains.com/display/CLION/Third-Party+Software+Used+by+CLion
and that info should be available for each release and up to date for the
current release.