[ANNOUNCEMENT] xterm 348-1

Wed Nov 6 17:24:00 GMT 2019

On 2019-11-06 08:48, Takashi Yano wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Nov 2019 07:11:14 -0700 Brian Inglis wrote:
>> On 2019-11-06 05:13, Takashi Yano wrote:
>>> I confirmed this occurs only if shell is tcsh. If shell is bash, zsh
>>> or fish, pasting Japanese string works as expected. It works in cat,
>>> od, etc as well.
>>> The cause is unknown.
>> Does it work properly if LANG="ja_JP.UTF-8" under tcsh?
> No, it does not.

Does tcsh input work properly under mintty instead of xterm?
How does it work in cat, od, etc.? That can not include using input via tcsh?
Presumably you are using IME(s) for Japanese input - which at what input layer(s)?

I noticed that xterm was updated to Unicode 10 then 11, with changes to CJK/East
Asian character properties and handling; tcsh dropped libcatgets1 as a
dependency; those could affect input.

It sounds like an issue with either xterm or tcsh input locale handling, but
both apparently handle locales well, so it may be a configuration issue caused
by a recent change.

It may be useful to read the FAQs
(https://invisible-island.net/xterm/xterm.faq.html, https://www.tcsh.org/faq/),
then open issues directly with xterm and/or tcsh upstream maintainers
(https://invisible-island.net/personal/bug-reports.html,