Cygwin does not include admin full rights to home directories

KAVALAGIOS Panagiotis (EEAS-EXT) Panagiotis.KAVALAGIOS@ext.eeas.europa.eu
Fri Nov 29 12:26:00 GMT 2019

> Hi,
>

> If you want to remove old Cygwin installation, you have 2 choices:
>
>  - if install has been done for all users, just remove Cygwin folder from
> Windows Explorer
>
>  - if install has been done just for current user requiring admin rights, just
> start a new cygwin session with bash or csh; go to cygwin folder and then
> type: \rm -rf "Cygwin_folder";. In this case some system files have been
> installed, only removable by file owner.

Hi Stéphane,

I am not sure I understand your distinction. The installation was performed with the following command:

setup-x86_64.exe -q -A -L -l "cygwin-repo" -R "C:\Program Files\Cygwin" -P autoconf,automake,bash-completion,binutils,curl,emacs,git,git-svn,gnupg2,inetutils,konsole,mc,openssh,patchutils,perl,python2,python3,rsync,ruby,subversion,tcsh,tmux,unzip,vim,vim-common,wget,xinit,xlaunch,xorg-server,xorg-server-common,xorg-server-xorg,xorg-x11-fonts-dpi100,xorg-x11-fonts-dpi75,xorg-x11-fonts-Type1,xorg-x11-fonts-misc,xterm,zip

Setup does not have any option for single or all users. It has only for non-admin installation (-B / --no-admin), where you obviously there is no permission issue, as all files are owned by the installation user.

However, following your recommendation, I have tried the following command:

"C:\Program Files\Cygwin\bin\rm.exe" -rf --no-preserve-root "/cygdrive/c/Program Files/Cygwin"

which seems to work pretty well so far. Thank you very much.

Panos