location of msmtp system-wide configuration

Wed Oct 2 02:43:00 GMT 2019

On 2019-10-01 18:47, Stephen Carrier wrote:
> The latest verion of the msmtp package: 1.8.5+20190811+git7912c76-1 .
> Differs from the previous version: 1.6.6-1 .
>
> In that the location of the system-wide configuration file is changed
> from /etc/msmtprc to /usr/etc/msmtprc.
>
> I think this has the potential to break installations during an upgrade.
>
> In my case it only confused me as I set up a new system.
>
> Please consider changing this default back to what it was for the
> convenience of those who will otherwise need to figure this out.

Definitely not a standard location and nothing there currently on my system.
The package contents shows only server configuration, nothing on /usr/etc/, no
defaults provided in /etc/defaults/usr/etc/, and /usr/bin/msmtp-config defaults
the CONFDIR to /etc, so unless you have a symlink, link or junction from /etc to
/usr/etc, or changed the location during the server config, /etc/ should have
been used.