location of msmtp system-wide configuration

Stephen Carrier carrier@berkeley.edu
Wed Oct 2 18:18:00 GMT 2019

On Tue, Oct 01, 2019 at 08:43:40PM -0600, Brian Inglis wrote:
> On 2019-10-01 18:47, Stephen Carrier wrote:
> > The latest verion of the msmtp package: 1.8.5+20190811+git7912c76-1 .
> > Differs from the previous version: 1.6.6-1 .
> >
> > In that the location of the system-wide configuration file is changed
> > from /etc/msmtprc to /usr/etc/msmtprc.
> >
> > I think this has the potential to break installations during an upgrade.
> >
> > In my case it only confused me as I set up a new system.
> >
> > Please consider changing this default back to what it was for the
> > convenience of those who will otherwise need to figure this out.
>
> Definitely not a standard location and nothing there currently on my system.
> The package contents shows only server configuration, nothing on /usr/etc/, no
> defaults provided in /etc/defaults/usr/etc/, and /usr/bin/msmtp-config defaults
> the CONFDIR to /etc, so unless you have a symlink, link or junction from /etc to
> /usr/etc, or changed the location during the server config, /etc/ should have
> been used.

This is not what I meant.  The package doesn't provide a configuration
file.  msmtp-config generates one in /etc/msmtprc, exactly as I would
want and expect since that's where to find the configuration file for
previous versions.

The problem is that the binary looks for its configuration file in a
different place:

-----
$ msmtp --version
msmtp version 1.8.5
Platform: x86_64-pc-cygwin
System configuration file name: /usr/etc/msmtprc
-----

and only after I moved the configuration file to that nonstandard location
would msmtp start working instead of complaining that it couldn't find
any configuration file.

This seems like something that could be fixed by tweaking the package
build scripts; I think it would be great to do that.

Thanks,

Stephen Carrier