Command line processing in dcrt0.cc does not match Microsoft parsing rules

Stephen Provine via cygwin cygwin@cygwin.com
Mon Sep 9 16:47:00 GMT 2019

On 2019-09-06 13:35, Andrey Repin wrote:
> CMD escape character is ^, not \

You are correct about the cmd.exe interpretation, so my test cases were
buggy, but Go invokes other executables using CreateProcess directly and
is not subject to the additional set of command line processing rules that
are used by cmd.exe.

If you see the last exchange with Eric, I think it is clear that there is a case
missing in the Cygwin processing rules that becomes a problem when a
calling process directly reverses the rules, specifically when an argument
value does not itself need to be quoted but it has a double quote in the
value. This is rule 4 in what I found to be the most definitive reference:

http://daviddeley.com/autohotkey/parameters/parameters.htm#WINCRULESCHANGE

And see the fourth example in section 5.4.

However, the *safest* way to construct a command line is to avoid this
case and make sure to always double quote an argument that contains
double quotes. The official algorithm from a Microsoft source was
previously posted by Eric:

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/twistylittlepassagesallalike/2011/04/23/everyone-quotes-command-line-arguments-the-wrong-way/

Interesting that there's actually nothing in this article that specifically
means it *shouldn't* be ok to do what the Go algorithm does, it just
happens to be simpler if you don't worry about that case.

FWIW, .NET Core uses this algorithm:

https://github.com/dotnet/corefx/blob/master/src/Common/src/CoreLib/System/PasteArguments.cs

Which I think is probably pretty good validation that it's the right one to use.

So, the outcome of all of this is that Go should probably update their logic
as it's based on the wrong official source. I plan to follow up there. If there
is any interest in the future to correct the parsing behavior in Cygwin, the
information needed to do that is in this thread. Personally, I think that if
Cygwin fixes the problem it's easier to recompile all those binaries than try
to locate all potential source calling processes to make sure they follow
the right algorithm (Go isn't right, what about Node, Python, etc...) But
I'm not going to push on this point as I can work around it for my case.

Thanks,
Stephen