retry: Problem transfering X11 cut/copy buffer to windows and back

Jon Turney jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk
Wed Sep 11 17:11:00 GMT 2019

On 11/09/2019 00:17, Jim Reisert AD1C wrote:
> I didn't see this message before I posted a separate message.  Here is
> my report again.
>
> I am using the latest test X server (1.20.5-3 built 2019-09-06),
> HOWEVER, I have seen this problem again and again for months now.
>
> After I copy/paste enough, either from Xterm to Xterm, or Xterm to
> Windows, eventually it stops working.  I can still select text in the
> Xterm, but I'm unable to paste it into windows - nothing happens.  My
> fuzzy recollection is that copy/paste from X to X still works, but I
> forgot to test that today.
>
> The only way I have found to fix this is to exit the X server and
> restart it.  Simply creating a new Xterm does not fix the problem.
>
> 1.  Is there any information I can provide to help debug this problem?

A reliable way of reproducing the problem would be ideal :)

Failing that, the /var/log/xwin/XWin.0.log might be informative.

> 2.  Is there a way to reset the X server's (or maybe Windows')
> copy/paste buffer without having to close all my X windows and restart
> the server?

Not really.

You can start the X server with the '-noclipboard' option, and then run
'xwinclip' for clipboard integration (which since it is a separate
process, rather than a thread in the X server, can be killed and restarted).

Ideally you'd then attach gdb to xwinclip if/when it gets stuck to debug
why that's happening. :)

--
Jon Turney
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer