Bug in TIME function

Kaz Kylheku 920-082-4242@kylheku.com
Thu Sep 12 18:44:00 GMT 2019

On 2019-09-12 11:05, tlake@twcny.rr.com wrote:
> The code below returns -1. It shouldn't.

Says who?

I don't see anything in the specification which says that a null pointer
argument is allowed:

https://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/functions/times.html

Passing a null pointer to an ISO C or POSIX library function results in
undefined behavior,
except where it is documented otherwise.

GNU/Linux (specifically the Glibc implementation of libc) also doesn't
document any such extension (being able to pass a null pointer to
times).

So even in light of the goal of Cygwin providing GNU/Linux compatibility
beyond POSIX, there is no justification for supporting times(0).

> #include <sys/times.h>
> #include <stdio.h>
>
> int main(int argc, char *argv[])
>
> {
>   printf("return value %ld\n", (long)times((struct tms*)0));

The pointer cast is not required here; you have a prototype of
the times function in scope; the equivalent times(0) will give you
the undefined behavior you're asking for.