Cygwin 3.0.7 on Windows 10: ANSI Escape Sequences not affecting color when run in Windows Terminal

Eliot Moss moss@cs.umass.edu
Sat Sep 21 21:02:00 GMT 2019

On 9/21/2019 12:06 PM, connor horman wrote:
> When using windows terminal, programs using the C Functions provided
> by cygwin1.dll to print to stdout (such as printf, puts), do not
> render the text color as would be appropriate when using an ANSI
> Escape sequence, such as "\033[38;2;255;0;0m". The functionality has
> been confirmed on native linux with glibc, as well as when displaying
> to mintty.exe. Additionally, the issue does not occur with native
> windows executables performing the same task, linked with msvcrt as
> the C library implementation, both run through windows command line
> programs such as cmd.exe and powershell, and cygwin bash. The issue
> seems to be a disparity between the handling of these escape sequences
> in cygwin1.dll and in Windows Terminal as is noted in the issue filed
> at https://github.com/microsoft/terminal/issues/2837.

Others are certainly more knowledgeable on this than I am, but since
colors and such work fine through cygwin on an xterm, I think it has
to do with the terminal, not that cygwin per se (i.e., not the dll).

Regards - Eliot Moss