ssh-agent doesn't die

Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Fri Sep 27 23:18:00 GMT 2019

On 9/27/2019 10:27 AM, Vanda Vodkamilkevich wrote:
> Le ven. 27 sept. 2019 à 16:13, Ken Brown <kbrown@cornell.edu> a écrit :

>> COMMAND
>> /usr/bin/bash
>> /usr/bin/sleep

>> the command.
>>>
>>> With the salient difference presumably being that the exec is done in
>> the parent
>>> instead of the child as usual?
>>
>> Yes.  The idea is that 'ssh-agent command' should be more-or-less
>> equivalent to
>> running 'command', with ssh-agent running as a subprocess.
>>
>> The ssh-agent subprocess periodically checks to see if its parent is still
>> alive, and it exits when the parent has died.  Someone should figure out
>> why
>> this is not working on Cygwin.
>
> Hi,
> this may probably be not fully related but I see from time to time a
> strange behavior of ssh-agent (running in the background and initially
> started by keychain launched in .bashrc) : the agent is running wild (25%
> of cpu and never responding). It seems to occur (not systematically) when
> network is disconnected and reconnected (this is on a laptop often removed
> from the docking system). Do you have any idea how to diagnose the issue
> more precisely?

Sorry, but I'm not an expert on ssh-agent.  Everything I said above is based on
doing an internet search and looking briefly at the ssh-agent source code.

My only suggestion would be to attach gdb to the process when it starts running
wild and see if you can figure out why it's inf-looping.  If you don't know how
to do this, someone who does know would have to be able to reproduce the problem.

Ken