Using ARM GNU GCC with Cygwin

Eliot Moss moss@cs.umass.edu
Sat Apr 4 10:23:38 GMT 2020

On 4/4/2020 5:00 AM, Ben wrote:

 > I've been playing with ARM GNU GCC and some examples from nordic semiconductor for some of their
 > demo boards (The Thingy)

Sounds as if that is a Windows program, not a Cygwin or Linux program.

 > The make file that comes with the project includes source files using the (abspath ../main.c) (as
 > one example) which GCC really seems to hate.

 > The output from GCC is the full path (/home/bkamen/workspace-nordic/.....) right down to the file
 > and gcc tells me it can't find the file.

If your gcc is a Windows gcc then it wants a Windows path.

 > if I change the mail file to use a relative path, gcc can find that... but ultimately I'm trying to
 > understand the issue than just patch around it.

This goes along with my theory.

 > I'm using the arm-gcc from the developer.arm.com website.
 >
 > Is there something else I'm missing? What files can I offer (like the makefile) that can help
 > determine the issue?

You can fix the Makefile to pass Windows paths.  The cygpath tool and make's
$(shell ...) command might be useful.

But I also wonder if maybe the mingw environment is more suited to this work,
or finding a Windows version of make.

Perhaps there are others here who can clarify or add to this ...   EM