Dropping 32 bit Cygwin? (was Re: segfault on 32bit)

Sharuzzaman Ahmat Raslan sharuzzaman@gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 08:53:23 GMT 2020

Hi Corinna,

If I'm forced to abandon Windows, the next logical option for me is to use
ReactOS, in order to use Cygwin for work.

While it is usable as it is, right now it only has 32 bit, and 64 bit is
still a long way to go.

This is one primary reason that I believe Cygwin should keep the 32bit
version.

Also, as I personally experienced once, the 64bit version does not work
properly and I'm not sure why. It could be the antivirus that was installed
by my company. But, I can quickly continue my work after I install a 32bit
version, and the issue is not there.

So, having 32bit as a fallback is really helpful in that situation.

Thank you.

On Wed, Apr 8, 2020 at 4:45 PM Corinna Vinschen <corinna-cygwin@cygwin.com>
wrote:

> On Apr  8 10:34, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> > Right.  This looks like a fork problem.  It's 32 bit, so we have to
> > expect fork errors more often.
> >
> > Given how much the distro has grown, and given that the number of 32 bit
> > systems is constantly shrinking, we should really start to think about
> > dropping 32 bit support.
> >
> > Most users these days use 64 bit systems.  Some use 32 bit Cygwin on 64
> > bit systems, which doesn't really make sense, except, maybe, to build 32
> > bit packages.  These users can easily switch to 64 bit Cygwin.
> >
> > The access statistics indicate that real 32 bit systems only make less
> > than 2% of installed systems.  It's a lot of hassle to keep 32 bit
> > Cygwin running for only a minor installation base.
> >
> > I'm not saying that we switch off 32 bit support right now, but maybe
> > 2020 should be the last year of 32 bit support.
>
> Oh, btw., time_t on 32 bit Cygwin is only 32 bit wide, so the end is
> near: 2038-01-19 03:14:07 UTC.
>

> Corinna
>
> --
> Corinna Vinschen