OpenSSL

Allen Hewes allen@decisiv.com
Wed Apr 8 19:43:49 GMT 2020

> Am 08.04.2020 um 11:30 schrieb Tommie King:
> > Hey, sorry if this is the wrong place.
>
> Hi Tommie,
> right place
>
> > But im struggling to see how I can upgrade openssl >1.1.1d
> >
> > Compliance checks state that we must have a more up to date version, I
> > know that it exists (1.1.1f)
>
> that was released just 2 weeks ago.

 [Allen Hewes]
Fedora has updated their bits (Cygwin's version uses some of Fedora's packaging):
https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/openssl/c/5004ccfb250b6b8e6e1ac40ee91433090dc19366?branch=master

> > But I can only seem to upgrade to 1.1.1 in Cygwin  - is there a new
> > upgrade package for Cygwin/Openssl coming in the near future?
>
> https://cygwin.com/packages/summary/openssl.html
> last available version is 1.1.1d
>
> Next version when the maintainer has time to do so.

[Allen Hewes]
...or build it yourself (learn cygport and the associated stuffs to get it installed via setup-x86_64.exe, this is non-trivial depending on your skills (and time 😉)...):

$ uname -a
CYGWIN_NT-10.0 FOUREYES 3.1.4(0.340/5/3) 2020-02-19 08:49 x86_64 Cygwin

$ cygcheck -c openssl
Cygwin Package Information
Package              Version        Status
openssl              1.1.1f-1       OK

This also allows one to change OpenSSL to suit their specific needs (maybe you need/want FIPS?):
$ openssl version
OpenSSL 1.1.1f FIPS  31 Mar 2020

/allen

Disclaimer Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail, and any attachments and/or documents linked to this email, are intended for the addressee and may contain information that is privileged, confidential, proprietary, or otherwise protected by law. Any dissemination, distribution, or copying is prohibited. This notice serves as a confidentiality marking for the purpose of any confidentiality or nondisclosure agreement. If you have received this communication in error, please contact the original sender.