Using ARM GNU GCC with Cygwin

David Rothenberger daveroth@acm.org
Wed Apr 8 20:58:41 GMT 2020

On 4/8/2020 1:50 PM, Kaz Kylheku via Cygwin wrote:
> On 2020-04-04 11:58, Åke Rehnman via Cygwin wrote:
> I have a major use case for Cygwin for providing remote access
> to Windows. Using a non-Cygwin utility called "RunAsService.EXE",
> I turned a Cygwin Bash script into a Windows service. This Bash
> script loops around and makes a SSH connection to a host
> in a domain that I control, setting up a tunnel for port 3389
> (RDP). From that domain, I can then remote desktop into the
> Windows system. Basically I can deploy this solution on any
> Windows machine on any network where outbound SSH is allowed, and
> have remote access to it.

You might want to look at the "autossh" Cygwin package. It handles
exactly this use case and can be registered as a Windows service without
any non-Cygwin utilities. Just look at

   /usr/share/doc/autossh/README.Cygwin

after you install the package for details about the service.

I've been using this for years for the purpose you've described and it's
been working great.

QOTD:
         "Overweight is when you step on your dog's tail and it dies."