What is wrong with the name excel?

Erik Soderquist ErikSoderquist@gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 17:24:33 GMT 2020

On Fri, Apr 17, 2020 at 7:11 AM Gerlach van Beinum wrote:

> I made a program to read a csv file from Excel. I called it excel.c
> and it made an executable excel.exe
> If irun that executable with:
> ./excel.exe
> nothing happens, i.i. no output.
>
> If I rename it to a.exe it runs OK.
>
> What about this name excel??

I believe this is actually a Windows issue; Windows recognizes
"excel.exe" as 'a Microsoft package' and intercepts the call to launch
the program, though I would expect Microsoft Excel to launch rather
than 'nothing happening'

I've had this problem before on hosts that did not even have Cygwin
installed when the executable file name matched an existing 'Microsoft
package'

-- Erik
--
"I do not think any of us are truly sane, Caleb. Not even you. Courage
is not sanity. Being willing to die for someone else is not sanity."

-- Alexandria Terri in "Weaving the Wyvern" by Alexis Desiree Thorne