cygwin gfortran segfaulting on valid write statements

Sat Apr 18 01:01:50 GMT 2020

On 2020-04-17 17:33, Charles Russell wrote:
> On 4/17/2020 2:46 PM, Brian Inglis wrote:
>
>> Try running under strace:
>>
>>     $ strace -o prog.strace prog -options... args...
>>
>> or gdb:
>>
>>     $ gdb prog
>>     (gdb) run -options... args...
>>     SEGV diagnostics
>>     (gdb) bt
>>     (gdb) q
>>
>> and attach or paste all output.
>
> The following is the case where I got an error message. Not actually a segfault.
> (Sorry, I'm not a programmer.) The executable, gdb, and strace all produce the
> same output:
> -----------
> At line 889 of file cgcrez.f (unit = 6, file = 'stdout')
> Fortran runtime error: Missing initial left parenthesis in format
> ^

> Here is the indicated line, using list mode in vim to show that there are no
> unexpected nonprinting characters:
>
>  887           write(6,'(i6,1p3e9.2,x,e9.2,x,0pf6.3,x,1p2e10.2,''@'')')$
>  888      &       iter, reldf,reldb,$
>  889      &       gnorms, x1min, -cosag, beta(1),beta(np)$
>  890 $
>
> This code compiled and ran on cygwin in the past, and checks out now in debian
> stable.
>
> In my other case, which I may or may not be able to find again, the program
> failed with no explicit error message like the one above. Stepping through with
> gdb showed that it was also crashing in a valid write statement.

Do you perhaps need an extra pair of parentheses to repeat the formatted output,
perhaps from the second specifier, as you have 5 variable format specifiers and
8 variables?
Showing a bit more context with all variable declarations would help, and you
can use cat -A (== -vET) to show non-printing characters e.g.

$ egrep -nw 'iter|reldf|reldb|gnorms|x1min|cosag|beta|write' cgcrez.f | cat -A