Two naive questions

Tue Apr 21 18:33:59 GMT 2020

On 2020-04-20 14:14, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 20, 2020 at 11:59:08AM -0600, Brian Inglis wrote:
>> The new server ml archive does not seem to offer the metadata available on the
>> previous server and archive, and that is true of most archives that do not allow
>> replies: probably a good way to reduce space required by 50-90%, from what I can
>> see.
>> A subscribed user could provide you with the reply References header values.
> This is a text cut and paste from https://cygwin.com/pipermail/cygwin/
>     The Cygwin Archives
>     You can get more information about this list.
>     Archive 	View by: 	Downloadable version
>     April 2020: 	[ Thread ] [ Subject ] [ Author ] [ Date ] 	[ Gzip'd Text 110 KB ]
> Notice the "Gzip'd Text ..."?
> That's the mbox formatted email archives.

I imported them all into Thunderbird to be able to search locally, as all
archive search tools seem to be worse than any of the search sites in
determining relevance or providing *all* relevant results newest first, while
the builtin tools allow searching on header field combos, and there is always
grep/sed/awk thru the mozmsgs maildirs for the really fuzzy searches.

Your previous reply was probably the best that can be done with pipermail
archives on mailman 2.1, although I am surprised you did not go to mailman 3
with hyperkitty on the new servers.