ssh-pageant

Chris Rodgers ctr28@cam.ac.uk
Thu Apr 23 16:40:29 GMT 2020

Thomas Wolff wrote:

> >/Would it be acceptable to update the ssh-pageant package to add a file />//etc/profile.d/ssh-pageant.sh that does this automatically? /Does what? Add something to other users' profiles? Sounds like MS-style
> patronizing of user preferences. Certainly not appreciated by most
> people. Also, why should most cygwin users want to use ssh via putty?
> Mintty + ssh is a seamless modular solution.

The sole purpose of installing ssh-pageant is to use pageant as an SSH
key agent for openssh. It's not a base package. So the users who install
ssh-pageant on their machines presumably want pageant to be their ssh
key agent for openssh. So I am proposing that this should work
immediately after the package is installed, without requiring editing
the .bash_profile file.

Adding a file to /etc/profile.d/ssh-pageant.sh seems like it would be a
simple way to achieve this.

I guess there is an issue for multi-user machines where different users
want to use different SSH agents wherein the default ssh agent would be
set for all users on installing ssh-pageant package. It can still
trivially be overridden by a .bash_profile configuration of an SSH key
agent in the user profile scripts.

What do people think? My driver is that it would be nice to streamline
the standard setup for folk in my lab.

The other thought I had was to add a postinstall script, like some
fedora or ubtuntu packages have. Are these allowed to prompt the user
interactively whether they wish to configure the profile setting?

BW

Chris.