write() on 64 bit platform sometimes returns 32bit -1 as error indicator

Mon Apr 27 08:43:09 GMT 2020

On Apr 24 16:01, Brian Inglis wrote:
> On 2020-04-24 08:42, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> > This problem is due to a restriction in Windows introduced with Windows
> > Vista.  In theory it gets explained at length in "Changes to the file
> > system and to the storage stack to restrict direct disk access and
> > direct volume access in Windows Vista and in Windows Server 2008" in the
> > Help and Support Knowledge Base at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942448.
> > Unfortunately, this KB article is current unaccessible for some reason.
>
> MS are blocking access to earlier unsupported (all Vista extended support ended
> 2017-04-11) system info:
>
> [ Vista kb942448 🔎]

That doesn't make sense.  The KB article describes a change in the ABI
affecting all Windows versions since Vista.  It's not only affecting
Vista alone.  Thus the KB article is still important, especially given
the MSDN library man pages (e.g. CreateFileA) refer to it.  I added
feedback to this effect on the MSDN man pages, hopefully somebody
actually reads them and reactivates the KB article.

Besides, deleting history doesn't make sense at all.

> support.microsoft.com [links to https://support.microsoft.com/kb/942448]
> We would like to show you a description here but the site won’t allow us.
>
> Still readable via:
>
> https://web.archive.org/web/20180217230150/https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/942448/changes-to-the-file-system-and-to-the-storage-stack-to-restrict-direct

Great, thanks for the URL!  This also shows that my description above
is not entirely correct :)

Corinna

--
Corinna Vinschen