Cygwin/X: KDE Desktop

Tony Richardson richardson.tony@gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 16:18:33 GMT 2020

On Tue, Apr 28, 2020 at 7:11 AM Maarten Hoes via Cygwin <cygwin@cygwin.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>

> I tried a few different Desktop Environments for comparison. At least
> GNOME-Openbox, KDE-Openbox, Plasma, and MATE give me a black screen and no
> taskbar/menu, pop-up menu with right-click on background, etc., but I can
> start applications on them if I open a Cygwin prompt through the 'Cygwin64
> Terminal' icon by doing (for example) "export DISPLAY=:0.0 ; xterm".
>
> However, the LXDE and Openbox desktops do give me the familiar things (like
> a start-menu, right-click on desktop pop-up menu).
>
> I have no idea where to even begin with troubleshooting the issue (of
> getting KDE or GNOME working). Could it be as simple as some packages that
> have not been installed ? I installed these desktops by selecting the
> packages listed on the Cygwin/X website during the overall Cygwin
> installation (setup-x86_64.exe).
>
> Any and all help is appreciated.
>

> - Maarten
>

> On Wed, Apr 22, 2020 at 2:38 PM Maarten Hoes <hoes.maarten@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >

> > When I run XLaunch and choose single window (or use the KDE 'Plasma'
> > shortcut), I get a black window (or grey, when also supplying '-retro'),
> > but I am not getting a desktop like when I do when I run KDE on Linux
> (KDE
> > taskbar/menu, pop-up menu with right-click on background, etc.). Is
> there a
> > way to do this ?  Or am I missing something obvious here ?
> >

> > Any and all help is appreciated,
> >

> > Thanks in advance,
> >

> > - Maarten

Sorry I can't provide help, I just wanted to mention that I have related (I
think) problems.  I only have the LXDE and Xfce desktop environments
installed.  Xfce starts consistently everytime.  LXDE only completely
starts every-other-time.  I get the black window one time (with a pop-up
openbox menu).  I can log-out and then the next time I get the full LXDE
desktop.  There is consistent alternation between the two. LXDE is my
preferred desktop, but I tend to use Xfce because of this problem.

I thought that there might be some weird interaction in the configuration
files used by the different desktop environments so I deleted all the
config files (dot files) in my home directory but I still see the same
behavior.

Tony