Developing for Cygwin from POSIX host

John Scott jscott@posteo.net
Fri Aug 7 01:58:45 GMT 2020

Hi,

I'm writing an application in C that's increasingly dependent on the POSIX
APIs and would like to use the Cygwin DLL to help port it to Windows. I
currently use MinGW-w64 but foresee that will stop being sufficient eventually.

I want to do this using only free software without a Windows installation. A
GNU/Linux to Cygwin cross compiler doesn't seem available, at least on Debian.
Cygwin also fails to run under Wine.

I'm not interested in the Cygwin userspace, I just need the POSIX layer. Aside
from booting up a ReactOS VM, is there a more clean way to do what I seek to
do?

Thanks,
John