[ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: curl 7.71.1-1

Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Mon Aug 10 14:52:22 GMT 2020

On 8/9/2020 5:48 PM, Brian Inglis wrote:
> On 2020-08-09 12:28, Adam Dinwoodie wrote:
>> On Fri, 24 Jul 2020 at 13:56, Adam Dinwoodie wrote:
>>> In the failing case, the `/configure` stage includes the following
>>> text: `configure: Setting CURL_LDFLAGS to '-lcurl -lnghttp2 -lidn2
>>> -lssh -lpsl -lssl -lcrypto -lldap -llber -lbrotlidec -lbrotlidec
>>> -lz'`; in the working case using -7.66.0-1, the corresponding line is
>>> just `configure: Setting CURL_LDFLAGS to '-lcurl'`.
[...]
> Meanwhile, that info likely comes from:
>
> $ tail -vn15 /lib/pkgconfig/libcurl.pc
> ==> /lib/pkgconfig/libcurl.pc <==
> #
> prefix=/usr
> exec_prefix=/usr
> libdir=${exec_prefix}/lib
> includedir=${prefix}/include
> supported_protocols="DICT FILE FTP FTPS GOPHER HTTP HTTPS IMAP IMAPS LDAP LDAPS
> POP3 POP3S RTSP SCP SFTP SMB SMBS SMTP SMTPS TELNET TFTP"
> supported_features="SSL IPv6 UnixSockets libz brotli AsynchDNS IDN PSL NTLM
> NTLM_WB TLS-SRP HTTP2 HTTPS-proxy"
>
> Name: libcurl
> Version: 7.71.1
> Libs: -L${libdir} -lcurl
> Libs.private: -lnghttp2 -lidn2 -lssh -lpsl -lssl -lcrypto -lldap -llber
> -lbrotlidec -lbrotlidec -lz
> Cflags: -I${includedir}
>
> it looks like your git build should be using Libs for dynamic builds and adding
> Libs.private for static builds

If you look at configure.ac in the git sources, you'll see that it uses
curl-config, not pkg-config.  The former reports:

$ curl-config --libs
-lcurl -lnghttp2 -lidn2 -lssh -lpsl -lssl -lcrypto -lldap -llber -lbrotlidec
-lbrotlidec -lz

Yaakov's build of earlier versions of curl used a patch 7.33.0-libdeps.patch to
prevent the unnecessary libs from being listed.  He even had a comment at the
beginning of the patch, explaining the reason for it: "These are needed only for
static linking, but we build with --disable-static".

Ken