Sv: Sv: Limit for number of child processes

Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Fri Aug 28 12:29:13 GMT 2020

On 8/28/2020 4:38 AM, sten.kristian.ivarsson@gmail.com wrote:
>>> Hi Corinna

>> rewrite.

>>> I don't know the exact purpose of this and how the cprocs is used, but
>>> I'd prefer something totally dynamic 7 days out of 7 or otherwise
>>> another limit would just bite you in the ass some other day instead
>>> ;-)
>>>
>>> A linked list could be used if you wanna optimize (dynamic) memory
>>> usage but an (amortized) array would probably provide faster linear
>>> search but I guess simplicity of the code and external functionality
>>> is the most important demands for this choice
>>
>> Any change here (aside from just increasing NPROCS) would have to be done
>> with care to avoid a performance hit.  I looked at the history of changes
>> to sigproc.cc, and I found commit 4ce15a49 in 2001 in which a static array
>> something like cprocs was replaced by a dynamically allocated buffer in
>> order to save DLL space.  This was reverted 3 days later (commit e2ea684e)
>> because of performance issues.
>

> I wonder what kind of performance issue ? Nevertheless, that old commit
> didn't make the number of possible children more dynamic though, when it was
> still restricted to NPROCS (or ZOMBIEMAX/NZOMBIES), it was just not
> allocated on the stack. But yes, accessing dynamic allocated memory can
> theoretically be slower than stack allocated memory, but without measuring
> it one cannot tell ;-) Todays hardware is pretty good at prefetching etc,
> but as I said, it needs measurements

I don't know for sure, but I doubt if it had anything to do with memory access.
My guess is that the performance hit came from the need to free the allocated
memory after every fork call (see sigproc_fixup_after_fork).

Ken