cpp /usr/include/threads.h fails; modfl segfaults

airplanemath@aol.com airplanemath@aol.com
Sun Aug 30 19:21:35 GMT 2020

Corinna Vinschen writes:
> On Aug 29 08:52, airplanemath via Cygwin wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have two reports.  A brief description of the system:
>> $ uname -a | sed "s/${HOSTNAME}/\${HOSTNAME}/g"
>> CYGWIN_NT-10.0 ${HOSTNAME} 3.1.7(0.340/5/3) 2020-08-22 17:48 x86_64 Cygwin
>>
>> The first report:
>>
>> $ cpp /usr/include/threads.h
>> # 1 "/usr/include/threads.h"
>> # 1 "<built-in>"
>> # 1 "<command-line>"
>> # 1 "/usr/include/threads.h"
>> /usr/include/threads.h:30:10: fatal error: machine/_threads.h: No such
>> file or directory
>>    30 | #include <machine/_threads.h>
>>       |          ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>> compilation terminated.
>
> The reason for this is, as Ken already pointed out, that
> machine/_threads.h only existed for RTEMS, not for any other target
> supported by newlib.  Worse, Cygwin never got around to implement the
> C11 threads functions yet.
>
> I added these functions as wrappers around pthread functionality, code
> taken from FreeBSD.  I ran the glibc testsuite on them, and after fixing
> the bugs in the glibc testsuite (d'oh), the tests ran successfully.

The header makes it through the preprocessor for me now.  Thank you.

>> $ cat test.c
>> #include <math.h>
>> #include <stdio.h>
>> #include <stdlib.h>
>>
>> int main(int argc, char *argv[]) {
>>   long double a, b, c;
>>   char *num_end = NULL;
>>   a = b = c = 0.0L;
>>   if (argc != 2) {
>>     fprintf(stderr, "Usage: %s NUMBER\n", argv[0]);
>>     exit(1);
>>   }
>>   a = strtold(argv[1], &num_end);
>>   b = modfl(a, &c);
>>   printf("%Lf %Lf %Lf\n", a, b, c);
>>   return 0;
>> }
>
> This is a bug in the assembler code taken from Mingw-w64.  The bug has
> been fixed upstream, so I just pulled in the upstream fixes.

The test program now finishes without segfaulting, and gives the
expected answer.  Thanks again.

> Thus, both of the above problems should be fixed now.  I created a
> developer snapshot and uploaed it to https://cygwin.com/snapshots/ You
> need to grab the full tar file and install at least the following files
> to your installation after backing up the original files from 3.1.7:
>
>   usr/bin/cygwin1.dll	(this is pre-release 3.2.0)
>   usr/lib/libcygwin.a
>   usr/include/limits.h
>   usr/include/pthread.h
>   usr/include/machine/_threads.h

Is it okay to leave these in place to be overwritten by 3.2.0, or should
I move the old versions back?

> Thanks for the report.

Thanks for the prompt response.