Forcing setup.exe not to create WSL symlinks

Jon Turney jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk
Sun Aug 30 20:24:26 GMT 2020

On 27/08/2020 06:48, Michael Wild via Cygwin wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 26, 2020 at 10:57 PM Jon Turney wrote:
>>
>> However, even if that's fixed, there's no value for winsymlinks in
>> CYGWIN env var to specify the behaviour of Cygwin 3.1.4 and previous
>> (i.e. always create traditional symlinks, don't use WSL symlink reparse
>> points)
>
> Thanks Jon for the elaboration. Isn't winsymlinks=lnk supposed to do this
> per the documentation?

No.

I'm not sure what documentation you are looking at, but [1][2] seems
reasonably clear that the behaviour of Cygwin 3.1.4 and earlier (what I
referred to as "traditional cygwin symlinks") isn't the same as ".lnk
symlinks".

[1] https://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using.html#pathnames-symlinks
[2] https://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-cygwinenv.html