Updated: fetchmail-6.4.14-1

L A Walsh cygwin@tlinx.org
Fri Dec 4 02:18:55 GMT 2020

On 2020/12/02 12:29, Achim Gratz wrote:
> fetchmail-6.4.14-1...
>
> This release uses the Python3 interpreter as Python2 is now EOL...

----
    When I look at the binary on linux (ldd), I see no reference to any
python
of any version.  I haven't seen the 6.4.14 package for my distro yet,
but the 6.4.12 version doesn't require python.

    When I look at the fetchmail website, https://www.fetchmail.info/,
I see that it lists https://sourceforge.net/projects/fetchmail/ as a project
page, but with sources on https://gitlab.com/fetchmail/fetchmail/ .

    I see no mention of python being required on its info page, though I see
it mentioned on the sourceforge site.

    Should fetchmail have a dependency on python when it doesn't seem to be
needed?  Maybe put the python requiring stuff in a separate
'python-fetchmail'
package to install that portion?

    Should I be guessing -- is it a python interface for fetchmail?

    I know I would be surprised if I went to install (or upgrade)
fetchmail and it required me to install python.

    Seems like many(most?) other python interfaces for things reside in
'python-xxxxxx' packages -- is that an oversight for the fetchmail
code?

Tnx!
-linda