Commercial use of cygwin

Hamish McIntyre-Bhatty hamishmb@live.co.uk
Sat Dec 12 17:27:16 GMT 2020

On 14/11/2020 07:50, Marco Atzeri via Cygwin wrote:
> On 14.11.2020 08:22, L A Walsh wrote:
>> On 2020/11/12 02:42, Marco Atzeri via Cygwin copied the whole note:
>>> On 12.11.2020 09:42, Antonio Sidoti via Cygwin wrote:
>>> I was looking into using Cygwin for commercial use...
>>   [27 lines of duplicate text]
>>>
>>> in general there is no restriction on usage.
>>> Marco
>> If you are going to bottom post, please trim your quotes.
>> If you need to quote the original for context, only quote
>> what is needed for context. In a threaded
>> reader, your reply is placed under the original poster's
>> email, where, if a reader is interested, it was just read.
>> Duplicating the entire note isn't necessary nor, I'd bet,
>> really wanted, by most.
>>

> Hi Linda,
> usually I agree, but he put down a specific list of DLL's
> and I replied with a specific list of License.
>
> 27 lines are not a lot, in my experience.
> There were much worst example than my mail to complain
> about on this mailing list.
>
> Cheers
> Marco

Do the points made here also apply to commercial but open-source use of
Cygwin?

For extra context, I have an application with bundles parts of Cygwin
and libraries built against Cygwin. None of the source or binaries is
modified.

I know I at least have to state which packages are included in the
bundle and provide links to the source for those, but I am not sure if
it is required that I eg provide a downloadable compressed folder with
complete source for everything.

Can anyone give me some advice? The work everyone does for Cygwin is
valuable and I certainly don't intend to claim any of it is mine.

Hamish